guix-devel

Re: Add Microsoft Cascadia Code font?

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: Re: Add Microsoft Cascadia Code font?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 14:09:03 +0100

Hi Julien,

Am Sonntag, den 10.01.2021, 07:28 -0500 schrieb Julien Lepiller:
> I might be wrong, but I thought fonts were considered non-functional
> data. If that's the case, isn't cc-by-nc-nd acceptable?

Not according to the FSDG:
> [Non-functional data] can be included in a free system distribution
> as long as its license gives you permission to copy and redistribute,
> both for commercial and non-commercial purposes.
IIUC CC BY-ND would be covered if we indeed consider fonts to be non-
functional data, but not CC BY-NC and certainly not CC BY-NC-ND.

It goes on to list a hypothetical example of a game map, which is
somewhat ironic, considering that games more often disqualify
themselves for the FSDG through the use of entirely non-free assets or
assets rather than being GPL-incompatible through the use of assets,
that don't allow derivative work.  Of course, the former is a subset of
the latter, but the point I'm trying to make here, is that the latter
is sadly not even a concern for many (aspiring) game devs out there.
It also reminds me, that I have yet to code up a fully GPL/FSDG-
compatible game myself – I'll get there some day, I promise.

TL;DR: Non-functional data is fine if it is commercially verbatim-
copyable.

Regards,
Leo