guix-devel

Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 22:14:05 +0000

Hey, Tobias,

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 6:15 PM, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:

[...]

> Like the others I prefer the orange/black colour scheme. It integrates better
> with other Guix sites & the other one has less positive connotiations.

Oh, really?! I know people associate these colors to political parties and
sports teams depending on the region they live... Is there anything else
considered negative about the blue-red scheme?

> Row B's ‘S’ just looks off; I prefer C's. Is this a stock typeface?

No, they are just rectangles.

> I see ‘integration’ in the logo but not in ‘//’.

OK, so it just looks like a link between the top and bottom parts of the S. But
since the text-based logo has no votes for now, I'll just ignore it :)

By the way, I forgot to mention that the S in B and C variants also were
supposed to symbolize the continuous part of CI. They were supposed to look
close to the infinity symbol (drawn vertically).

> The logo comes frustratingly close to ‘CI’ whilst (to my eye) trying very
> hard not to :-) A bit like the name ‘Cuirass’. Where did that come from,
> Mathieu?

Pierre asked this same question earlier:

Pierre: Why is it called "Cuirass"? :p
Othacehe: No idea, you would have to ask Mathieu Lirzin about it!

About the integration of this logo with the Guix look, I thought that this logo
was for Cuirass itself, not necessarily for the instance available in
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/.

If Cuirass Web UI supports theming, the Guix instance could easily change the
branding so that it is uniform with the style that has been used so far to name
and brand other components. So Guix components like GuixHPC, GuixData, GuixCI,
GuixDays, and so on, could use the same graphic style.

(Maybe Guix could use a Guile library defining an SXHTML/CSS theme to make it
easier to style the websites of the different Guix components)