guix-devel

Re: [bootstrappable] Re: wip-full-source-bootstrap: from a 357-byte `hex

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [bootstrappable] Re: wip-full-source-bootstrap: from a 357-byte `hex0' to 'hello'
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 12:09:22 +0100

Hi,

jeremiah@pdp10.guru skribis:

> 3) not actually converge the code and simply throw one or both of them
> away. Say write the whole thing in a better language than C (haskell
> perhaps but ultimately requires abandoning previous work).

I see a fourth option, which is to keep both.  :-)

In effect, it seems there are now two diverging projects.  I think
that’s fine: more bootstrapping work and more diversity is better!

For Guix, the Scheme-based approach Janneke et al. have been pursing
remains the most attractive.  At any rate, work on Haskell will probably
benefit Guix (and other distros I guess!) to have a fully
built-from-source Haskell platform.

Thanks for explaining,
Ludo’.