guix-devel

Re: [bootstrappable] Re: wip-full-source-bootstrap: from a 357-byte `hex

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [bootstrappable] Re: wip-full-source-bootstrap: from a 357-byte `hex0' to 'hello'
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 14:40:44 +0100

Hi,

"Orians, Jeremiah (DTMB)" <OriansJ@michigan.gov> skribis:

>> I see a fourth option, which is to keep both.  :-)
> Might want to fix up the confusing naming in that case

Yes, that’s probably a good idea.

>> In effect, it seems there are now two diverging projects.  I think that’s
>> fine: more bootstrapping work and more diversity is better!
> Converging actually as they share the exact same goal of bootstrap from
> nothing and run MesCC

My understanding is that they are nevertheless two different development
branches; is that right?

>> For Guix, the Scheme-based approach Janneke et al. have been pursing remains
>> the most attractive.
> And would be faster if MesCC running on guile was used as the lone bootstrap
> seed.

What do you mean?  Faster in what sense?

Again I’m commenting as an enthusiastic outsider, so I may miss pieces
of the puzzle.  My impression is that we have now two different things
called “Mes” and two different approaches to the whole issue, so it
might make sense to label them differently.

At any rate, thanks to all the bootstrappers for the amazing work!

Ludo’.