guix-devel

Re: [bootstrappable] Re: wip-full-source-bootstrap: from a 357-byte `hex

From: Andrius Štikonas
Subject: Re: [bootstrappable] Re: wip-full-source-bootstrap: from a 357-byte `hex0' to 'hello'
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:18:19 +0000

2021 m. sausio 29 d., penktadienis 07:23:24 GMT Jan Nieuwenhuizen rašė:
> Efraim Flashner writes:
>
> Hi!
>
> > On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 03:19:49PM -0500, Timothy Sample wrote:
> >> Hi janneke,
> >>
> >> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> writes:
> >>
> >> It looks like you’ve made a lot of progress on this already (judging by
> >> the rest of this thread).  However, if it helps, the current Gash-Utils
> >> awk could _probably_ be used to skip most (all?) of the old versions of
> >> Gawk.
> >>
> >> Sorry I can’t be more helpful ATM.  I appreciate the work you do to keep
> >> this project rolling!
> >>

> > Using this post as inspiration I replaced diffutils-mesboot with
> > gash-utils-boot. diffutils-mesboot provided cmp and diff, both of which
> > are available in gash-utils.

It would be better if gash-utils worked with mes though. Now they all run in
guile.
In live-bootstrap project (bootstrapping from hex0 with just kaem driver)
we had to skip gash and all gash-utils. Fortunately we now mostly got relevant
GNU utils.

By the way we managed to build reasonably new sed 4.0.7 instead of sed 1.18
which is used in guix bootstrap

Andrius

--
I encourage the use of end to end email encryption

GPG key:   https://stikonas.eu/andrius.asc
Fingerprint:  1EE5 A320 5904 BAA2 B88C 0A9D 24FD 3194 0095 C0E1