guix-devel

RE: [bootstrappable] Re: wip-full-source-bootstrap: from a 357-byte `hex

From: Orians, Jeremiah (DTMB)
Subject: RE: [bootstrappable] Re: wip-full-source-bootstrap: from a 357-byte `hex0' to 'hello'
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:02:21 +0000

>>> Using this post as inspiration I replaced diffutils-mesboot with
>>> gash-utils-boot. diffutils-mesboot provided cmp and diff, both of
>>> which are available in gash-utils.
> It would be better if gash-utils worked with mes though. Now they all run in
> guile.
> In live-bootstrap project (bootstrapping from hex0 with just kaem driver) we
> had to skip gash and all gash-utils. Fortunately we now mostly got relevant
> GNU utils.

Hence the overly ambitious goal of mes-m2 (Which might end up being a dead end)
and a proper scheme written in the Haskell Subset supported by blynn-compiler
which has been bootstrapped.

We have to think long term here, because we are going to have to support the
bootstrap forever.
And porting to new architectures and Operating Systems is going to be something
we will have to deal with.

- Jeremiah