guix-devel

Re: developing javascript with guix

From: david larsson
Subject: Re: developing javascript with guix
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 16:26:04 +0200

On 2022-07-30 15:40, Luis Felipe wrote:

Using the original design of Guix website, this information could be
accessible from "Home page → Guix in Your Field → Software
developement". Clicking on that button would take the user to a
Software Development page, which would link to language specific
information to integrate Guix in one's workflow. So there would be
URLs like these:

https://guix.gnu.org/en/software-development/
https://guix.gnu.org/en/software-development/javascript/
https://guix.gnu.org/en/software-development/python/
https://guix.gnu.org/en/software-development/ruby/

The "Guix in Your Field" idea seems kind of forsaken, but I think it
is quite important.

I'd also like to have a place for this information collected and shared.

Another option, not to imply it's a better one, but maybe worth considering, is the libreplanet guix wiki. I think that basically anyone can edit the page there, and it would be a smaller barrier of entry to contribute (for good and bad).

For guile development there's the information in help-guix with subject: "Configuring geiser for load paths of Guix environment", that would be useful to add.

For python: I have a setup with emacs, emacs-jedi and jupyter in a nice way, and I was leaning towards just sharing it on some git repo of mine, which would be a waste when it can be shared with a wider guix audience if we had a set place for it. Personally, I'd be more likely to get around to share it on the libreplanet wiki, than by sending a patch to the guix website. Maybe the website can point to the correct wiki subpage from the "software development" (in your field) page?

Best regards,
David