guix-devel

Re: Translating news on weblate?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Translating news on weblate?
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 20:00:45 +0200

Hi Julien,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> I was thinking we could have our news file translated at weblate, which
> would help having more people translate it. Attached is a script that
> is able to generate a pot file from the news.scm file and a translated
> news.scm file from the existing news.scm and a directory that contains
> the po files and a LINGUAS file.

I agree with what others said: it’s a great idea!

> The goal is to regularly fetch the news.scm file, generate a new pot
> that would automatically be updated on weblate. Translators can do
> their work, and the result is regularly merged back (after being
> checked that it doesn't break) in our repo.
>
> The script tries to reformat the news in a standard way and to merge
> existing copyright lines with the authorship lines in the po files. It
> is also able to generate the initial po files that I would give
> weblate, so translators don't have to redo translations that have
> already been done.

I was wondering whether we could just use xgettext to get a .pot file,
but maybe it doesn’t matter.

Given that these are news, I guess we’ll have to merge translations more
frequently than usual.

> (define <channel-news-entry> (@@ (guix channels) <channel-news-entry>))

Nitpick: You can (and should :-)) avoid this one.

Anyway, thumbs up, let’s do that!

Thanks,
Ludo’.