guix-devel

Re: More rebuilds might be required under some circumstances.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: More rebuilds might be required under some circumstances.
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 16:06:09 +0100

Hi,

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> skribis:

> In the manual (guix.texi), you mentioned that "More rebuilds might be required
> under some circumstances" when running --list-dependent.
>
> What are those circumstances? Could you help us document the circumstances
> so we can have the background context/more explanations on that?

‘--list-dependent’ shows the dependents of a given package according to
the package graph.

However, sometimes one defines variants based on a package:

  (define pkg (package …))
  (define pkg-variant (package (inherit pkg) …))

‘guix refresh -l pkg’ will report dependents of ‘pkg’ only.  But if you
change ‘pkg’ (for instance if you upgrade it), then that’ll most likely
entail a rebuild of ‘pkg-variant’ and everything that depends on it.

HTH!

Ludo’.