guix-devel

Re: bringing npm packages to Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: bringing npm packages to Guix
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:13:54 +0100

Hi,

zamfofex <zamfofex@twdb.moe> skribis:

> A few months ago, I picked up the work towards importing npm packages to Guix
> by Jelle et al. in the hopes of continuing it, and I felt disheartened when I
> concluded that it does indeed seem like a very large part of npm is necessary
> to build even a simple package like jQuery.

Christine had that great summary of the npm mess at the time:

  https://dustycloud.org/blog/javascript-packaging-dystopia/

With all its shortcomings, I think it would still be useful to merge
Jelle’s npm importer (the “binary” importer), as discussed last year:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-09/msg00245.html

Thumbs up to whoever submits it for inclusion!  :-)

(I won’t answer on ‘devDependencies’ issues because JS is outside my
area of expertise.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.