guix-devel

Re: bringing npm packages to Guix

From: zamfofex
Subject: Re: bringing npm packages to Guix
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 19:52:42 -0300 (BRT)

Hello! Thanks for responding.

The premise of the idea I’m proposing is that it wouldn’t be necessary to
traverse into (most of) the ‘devDependencies’ if you build the packages ad‐hoc
using esbuild. So, the idea is to sidestep the build process that the package
has, and just invoke esbuild on the appropriate files of the package. My hope
is that this is sufficient to bring most (or at least a lot of) useful packages
from npm to Guix without the need of a binary importer.

I set up a package for sucrase as a proof of concept, since sucrase is a CLI
tool that can be run and tried out easily (as opposed to jQuery, which is a
library meant to be used in browsers). However, note that following my proposed
approach, packaging jQuery becomes entirely trivial — it is a matter of simply
running esbuild on jQuery’s input files. For the sake of example, I have
included a Guix package I created for jQuery in the GitHub Gist I sent above.
(And I can anecdotally verify that it works when tring it on a browser.)
<https://gist.github.com/zamfofex/eac93bc0e00477a8b79f5ca4dc1a34ff#file-jquery-scm>

I will admit that I cheated a bit, since I used the currently unreleased 4.0.0
version, as opposed to the latest released 3.x versions, since the realeased
3.x versions use the old and outdated AMD format (“asynchronous module
definition”) for representing dependencies between files in a project. (See
<https://github.com/evanw/esbuild/issues/1035>) However, most packages nowadays
have already moved away from AMD (and jQuery is getting there), so this
shouldn’t be an issue in practice.