guix-devel

Re: Layout of ‘define-configuration’ records

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Layout of ‘define-configuration’ records
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 09:49:30 -0700

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Apologies for causing grief!

No worries at all, Maxim! The good you do far outweighs any grief, and
even if that weren't the case, we're only human :)

> I'm taking yours and Ludovic's feedback into account for the future
> and will reach out to guix-devel with heads-up when introducing
> breaking changes to Guix APIs.

This seems like the logical place to me, but it's also a bit busy for
announcements! I'm sure I'm not alone, but sometimes I'm very busy and
distracted and I need a very loud signal to let me know I need to take
action :) That's why I suggested info-guix. Its description reads:

#+begin_quote
Subscribe to the info-guix low-traffic mailing list to receive important
announcements sent by the project maintainers (in English).
#+end_quote

Would it make sense to publish there? I don't think we break APIs very often?

Also, do we need any kind of formalization around lead-time for these
announcements?

> A side-note, it seems that Ludovic has been working toward eliminating
> the use of match patterns matching the fields directly, instead
> encouraging the use of 'match-record', see
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59390. I haven't checked if this is
> compatible with define-configuration records though.

Thanks, I'll have a look!

--
Katherine