guix-devel

Re: Layout of ‘define-configuration’ records

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Layout of ‘define-configuration’ records
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 15:52:26 +0100

Hi Maxim,

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 16:00, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> That sounds very appropriate indeed.  I guess we could send
> announcements on API breaking changes to both places.  I suppose not
> many people are registered to 'info-guix' (I wasn't myself until
> recently ^^').

Well, more is better here, no? :-)

> I guess that's a question of how disruptive the API change is, but it'd
> be convenient if it was 2 weeks to match the time the change might
> appear on guix-patches un-reviewed.

Well, the process for API change could be:

 1. + submit to guix-patches,
    + in the same time, announce to guix-devel; so people not subscribed to
      guix-patches can chime.
 2. + after 2 weeks, or consensus, merge the change,
    + in the same time, announce to guix-devel, info-guix and --news.

There is no extra burden and it smooths the change for many users, IMHO.

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon