guix-devel

Re: Should a Guix package include documentation dependencies to be consi

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: Should a Guix package include documentation dependencies to be considered complete?
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 02:57:41 +0000

> We currently include all the dependencies to run the tests, why not do
> the same for documentation building?
>
> Should we make it a requirement or goal to always package a given package's
> "documentation-inputs"?

i also lack guidance on this.

and i somewhat miss a "test-inputs" field to explicitly mark the dependencies
that are only needed to run the tests. this often doubles the native-inputs
dependencies of python packages.

then the infrastructure could be smartened up to not require those dependencies
when the tests are disabled for a package. it could serve as a temporary
bandaid to fix/upgrade a package while there are some issues with the
dependencies needed to run the tests.

i guess same applies to documentation.

some brainstorm follows: but what should be the way to control this for
documentation? package arguments, like #:tests? #f for tests? or some way to
mark some of the outputs as optional, and a way to request the optional
outputs? how would the latter apply to tests, that have no package output? is
the anomaly justified?

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39