guix-devel

Re: File search

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: File search
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 23:44:16 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 at 22:25, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> I think at this point we could consider integration in Guix proper,
> under ‘guix/scripts’.  For that we could dismiss commit history.
>
> That’ll entail extra work (d’oh!) such as fine-tuning, writing tests,
> and writing a section for the manual.
>
> The other option, if you prefer, would be to keep it in a separate repo
> as an extension that people can install.  To me that would be more of a
> temporary solution because I think it’s a useful feature that ought to
> be provided by Guix proper eventually.

For what it is worth, I think it would better to reduce the number of
scripts and instead have something more modular with extensions.

The tradeoff about the maintenance cost is to not clear, I agree.

On the other hand, reducing the number of modules that “guix pull”
processes would help for improving the performance.  For instance, let
say that I am not interested by “guix system” and the computation of the
derivation at “guix pull” time is not nothing.  Another instance is all
the plumbing commands.

The manual would cover the extensions but it would be an opt-in choice by
the user to install them.  And it would reduce the load at “guix pull”
time.

My 2 cents. :-)

Cheers,
simon