guix-devel

Re: Should Guix support writing CLI Common Lisp scripts? (Think Roswell)

From: jgart
Subject: Re: Should Guix support writing CLI Common Lisp scripts? (Think Roswell)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:23:18 +0000

> I'm not sure what you mean if it is something beyond what we can do already
> with 'guix shell.' Do
> you mean using a particular hashbang as well?

Yes, that is one feature that I was nodding ambiguously at. Sorry

> guix shell sbcl sbcl-cl-csv unoconv -- sbcl --load myscript.lisp
> ~/Downloads/*.xlsx

That command is too long. What Roswell does is create binaries and installs
them in your PATH for your usage like a traditional script that you can call
without also having to call the interpreter in your terminal invocation.

I want to type just the following and have `myscript` be an executable program
available in my `guix home` environment:

> myscript ~/Downloads/*.xlsx

I want an automated way to prepare the script for that command line user
experience. That is the convenience that roswell provides. I agree that is is
sweet sugar but I'm lazy and don't want to type long CLI invocations.

Thanks for sharing the above though.

It's great to see how people are using `guix shell`.

Given what I said, I might just do what you're suggesting John, because I'm not
sure when I'll be able to implement a solution like the roswell one in Guix.

Thanks for your thoughts on the topic. They are appreciated.

all best,

jgart