guix-devel

Implementing Nix's command-not-found in Guix

From: Sarthak Shah
Subject: Implementing Nix's command-not-found in Guix
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 03:12:22 +0530

Hello Guix!

I'd like to implement something similar to NixOS's command-not-found in Guix.
As you can see in the repository below, it contains a nix file which is essentially a shell script which runs the second file, a perl script, if the user enters a command which is not found on this system. The perl script suggests names of packages containing said command which it pulls from an SQL database.
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/tree/master/nixos/modules/programs/command-not-found
This would make Guix much more user-friendly; for example, new Guix System users often struggle to figure out how to add the "clear" command to their shell. command-not-found would immediately inform them that it can be found in the ncurses package.

How would you recommend I go about implementing something similar for Guix?
I have unfortunately been unable to find a database or anything similar listing files outputted to /bin by each package, which would in my opinion be the starting step.

Happy Hacking!
Sarthak (cel7t)