guix-devel

Re: Core-updates and cross-compilation

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Core-updates and cross-compilation
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 18:48:16 +0100

--

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Am Sat, Mar 11, 2023 at 01:56:27PM +0100 schrieb Josselin Poiret:
>> I've been looking at the state of most failures for the CI jobset for
>> core-updates, and we have a couple of problems:
>> - gcc < 9 and gcc == 12 never cross-compile.
>> - we can't build the cross toolchain for the hurd, because the glibc
>>   upgrade to 2.35 would require newer gnumach headers
>
> are these new issues compared to master? There we also have gcc@9 and @12,
> so my guess would be no, at least for the first one.

The first one no, the second one yes.

>> Should we consider these blockers for a core-updates merge?
>
> If the situation is not worse than on master, my answer will be a firm "no".
> Otherwise I am less sure. I think we might still want to merge core-updates
> first and handle these cross compilation issues in a later feature branch
> of the core team.

I'm working on building Hurd atm, and it's been taking longer than I
would've liked.  We needed an update to mig, which cascaded into updates
to gnumach and hurd, but they also shouldn't be too recent as we'd need
a newer libc.  I thought the git tags in the repos would be a safe bet,
but they don't build by themselves, and lots of patches need to be
backported as well :) maybe after this upgrade is over we could offer
some help with releases/CI.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret