guix-devel

Re: State of core-updates

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: State of core-updates
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 11:05:14 +0100

Am Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 10:33:08AM +0100 schrieb Björn Höfling:
> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> > I more or less tried this by building things on berlin; however, big
> > packages (?, precisely: openjdk checkout (not even building!)
> OpenJDK@9 and @10 builds are fixed now on master.

Thanks! Actually they did build on my laptop, the problem was only with
offloading. Apparently a new problem appeared later, thanks for the fix!

Am Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 12:20:28PM -0700 schrieb Felix Lechner:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 7:57 AM Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> > Somehow the sending of store items when offloading poses problems
> Somehow I think I see a similar problem with 'guix deploy,' which I
> have to restart manually several times in order to complete the store
> transfer. In my case, the error presents as an SSH error ("parent
> process is not connected" I think) though, instead of a Cuirass
> timeout.

It may be the same root cause. I did not suspect anything when big packages
needed to be transferred, but then it keeps happening with small packages
such as bash or imagemagick. And it becomes very annoying with packages
that have many inputs. As soon as I see no new line "exporting path..."
after a few seconds, it is almost certain that something broke and we will
end up with a timeout one hour later. I am trying with dblatex for about
a dozen times now. At some point in time, all machines of the build farm
will end up having (almost) all the inputs :-|

Yes, then building the package took no time at all! :-)

Andreas