guix-devel

Re: State of core-updates

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: State of core-updates
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 09:56:48 +0100

Hello,

Am Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 08:43:13PM +0000 schrieb Kaelyn:
> I'm at least a little in favor of that, as the commit message for
> cc56be2f3858487cf1d8acfb345942f0784221ee is mis-formatted (it doesn't have
> the first 'gnu: ' prefixed summary line, and so git log --oneline doesn't
> format it right).

sorry for that, I did go over the commit message, but overlooked this part.

> I just quickly formatted and sent a v2 patch using "git format-patch
> --attach" and "git send-email" to try to get something at
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62209 that will work properly with "git am". (I'm
> still puzzled at what happened with the first one, as downloading the whole
> message and applying it with "git am" also fails for me.)

It still does not - there is no first line for the commit message
(the "gnu: ...").

When I try to "git am the-message-in-mbox-format", I get:
fatal: Dirty index: cannot apply patches (dirty: gnu/local.mk
gnu/packages/gnome.scm gnu/packages/patches/glib-networking-32-bit-time.patch)

When I just try to apply "git am
v2-0001-gnu-glib-networking-Fix-32-bit-builds.patch":
Patch format detection failed.
(which is normal, it does not have the commit message, but starts with
"diff").

I may have made an error, but it is suspicious that QA apparently also did
not manage to extract a git commit (there is no corresponding branch in
guix-patches).

Concerning "git send-email", I recently tried it and followed the advice at
   https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Sending-a-Patch-Series
It does not involve a "git format-patch" step.

Andreas