guix-devel

Re: Interest in Participating for GSoC '23

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Interest in Participating for GSoC '23
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:52:31 +0100

Hi Sarthak,

Just chiming in on one of your questions.

Sarthak Shah <shahsarthakw@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ludovic,
> Thank you for your suggestions!
> I've decided to focus on parameterized packages for my GSoC Application.
> Owing to mid semester exams, I have not been able to contribute much to
> Guix up until recently, and as such my only contributions are a simple
> patch and two packages. I am currently in the process of working on a
> script similar to NixOS' command-not-found that relies on guix index (which
> is yet to be merged).
> I have four questions with regards to my application and I'd appreciate
> answers from individuals in the mailing list;
> 1. Are there any specific issues I could work on to develop a better
> understanding of package transformations and also prove my skills

I think the issue mentioned in the last message at [1] could be a good
start, though it may require some knowledge of Guix, mostly through its
G-Expressions!  You would have to extend the transformation to consider
the case where the source is not a directory.

> 2. What is expected from a project proposal
> 3. Is there a soft deadline for submitting the draft proposal
> 4. Would anyone here be interested in co-mentoring this project

I unfortunately don't think I can co-mentor the project, but I'll always
be happy to answer questions whenever I'm available :)

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61684#16

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret