guix-devel

Re: [GSoC 23] distributed substitutes, cost of storage

From: pukkamustard
Subject: Re: [GSoC 23] distributed substitutes, cost of storage
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:34:12 +0000

Vijaya Anand <sunrockers8@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry for the late reply.
> So in the case we are running swarm nodes that serves the network and hence
> help fund the substitute server, we can also use these
> to also upload eris encoded substitute blocks onto the network am I right?
> The total cost will thus be cost to run the swarm nodes +
> storage cost of substitute blocks in the network + cost to run substitute
> servers - money earned by running swarm nodes. But when
> we don't run swarm nodes which run to serve the network, the total cost is
> not really affect right as the cost to run swarm nodes will
> be lessened and no money will be earned.
> So in the context of fallback mechanism the user client can send request to
> the substitute server for the missing block and the
> substitute server will serve the eris encoded data block back to the user
> (using HTTP). The responsibility of uploading these missing
> blocks back to the network is of the third party nodes (which are running to
> serve the desired content to the network). But how do we
> send the message to the node to report the missing block on the network? Can
> it be done by the user itself?

Some remarks:

- Maybe we don't need to do too much of an economic cost estimation, the
  current p2p networks (blocks over HTTP and IPFS) as well as ones that
  will quite possibly work soonish (GNUnet) do not incur any additional
  monetary storage cost. I think we should focus on resource usage
  (memory, disk, network) of users, servers and caching peers instead.

- One fallback strategy we absolutely need is to use get a substitute
  using the existing mechanism (substitute is a single nar file that is
  retrieved over HTTP without ERIS or any other p2p stuff).

- I like the principle "Think globally, act locally". Maybe users
  downloading substitutes who want to improve access to substitutes over
  p2p should only try to do so withing the scope of what they can do
  locally. I.e. by making the blocks available on the p2p network from
  the local machine. For IPFS and GNUnet this works very well and
  elimintates necessity of more RPC endpoints.

> "i can dream about a future where there's a social network that is based on
> digital signatures and encryption, and my Guix client
> authorizes compiled binaries based on some weighted transitive closure of
> signatures of my trusted peers"....Interesting! In the case
> of accessing Guix substitutes from p2p network, we ensure authorization by
> Guix team by making sure the urn of the substitute is the
> urn mentioned in the narinfo (which we get from a trusted source like the
> substitute server). So in the case of accessing some random
> compiled binary from the network, we just need to verify the authority of the
> document providing the urn of the content?

This is a very nice vision, that I share! However, maybe we should keep
it out of scope from the GSoC project and rely on the existing signature
mechanism for authenticity.

A web-of-trust like system for substitute system would be an excellent
and very interesting follow-up project.

-pukkamustard