guix-devel

Running Tor Browser with guix shell

From: Altadil
Subject: Running Tor Browser with guix shell
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:05:52 +0000

Hi,

thanks to the blog post on FHS emulation, I’ve been able to run Tor Browser in
Guix, so I figured I would help back a little, by sharing this small
improvement.
There are two new things in this guix shell command :
- replace gcc:lib (which does not exist anymore) with libgccjit
- add audio.

guix shell -CFN --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$'
--expose=$XAUTHORITY  \
--preserve='XDG_RUNTIME_DIR' --expose=/run/user/"$(id -u)"/pulse \
alsa-lib bash coreutils dbus-glib file grep gtk+ libcxx libgccjit pciutils
pulseaudio sed \
-- ./tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser -v

Hopefully, this can spare someone all the trial and error. :)
Since this use case was first discussed on this list, I am writing here, but
maybe there is a better place where to put this kind of information ?
Anyway, thank you all for Guix !