guix-devel

Re: RISC-V (riscv64-linux) substitutes are coming

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: RISC-V (riscv64-linux) substitutes are coming
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 15:33:42 +0100

Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 6:51 AM Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately it seems a bit stuck trying to upload the build results
>> back to the coordinator due to the suspendable ports issues in
>> guile-gnutls
>
> While I'm totally unfamiliar with the build farm, I thought I'd give a
> quick shoutout to ZeroMQ. [1] I had great success with it in similar
> settings.
>
> "Sometimes you just need a better socket" was the motto of the lead
> developer and advocate Pieter Hintjens, who unfortunately left too
> soon. ZeroMQ performs well when compared with other messaging systems.
> [2][3][4]

Thanks for the suggestion Felix.

Generally though, I'm trying to avoid any dependencies for the build
coordinator agent, since that should help to avoid problems with
portability. Ideally it wouldn't have any dependencies other than the
guix package itself (and the things it requires).

This issue should be fixed in the latest release, and I've been running
that on one of the build machines and it's been working great, so I'm
quite excited :)

Thanks again,

Chris