guix-devel

Re: RISC-V (riscv64-linux) substitutes are coming

From: Aleksandr Vityazev
Subject: Re: RISC-V (riscv64-linux) substitutes are coming
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 18:24:11 +0300

Hi,

On 2023-05-09, 15:22 +0100, Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:

> Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:
>
>> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
>> On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 02:40:21PM +0100, Christopher Baines wrote:
>>> Hey!
>>>
>>> Almost a year ago now [1] I mentioned that I had received a HiFive
>>> Unmatched board, but I hadn't got it doing anything yet.
>>>
>>> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-06/msg00104.html
>>
>> Some would say that's almost two years ago!
>
> Indeed, I got my maths wrong! Time is really getting on :/
>
>>> In the last few days I've made some time to take a look at it again and
>>> try to get it connected up to the bordeaux build farm.
>>>
>>> This has been somewhat successful, you should be able to see the machine
>>> (named rochor) on the prototype activity viewer [2].
>>>
>>> 2: https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org/activity
>>>
>>> Unfortunately it seems a bit stuck trying to upload the build results
>>> back to the coordinator due to the suspendable ports issues in
>>> guile-gnutls, but that should be fixed in the latest release so
>>> hopefully I'll be able to deploy that fix soon.
>>>
>>> It's also just currently a bare board hooked up to a spare power supply
>>> I have. I'll try and cost up a dedicated power supply plus case for it,
>>> and if anyone has suggestions for minimal mini-itx compatible cases,
>>> please let me know!
>>>
>>> This is a start, but more hardware will be needed to keep up with the
>>> master branch, plus testing patches and other branches, so if you have
>>> hardware to hand, or know of hardware available for purchase that might
>>> be suitable, that would be really useful to know about.
>>
>> That's really exciting!
>>
>> I've been having good luck with the visionfive1 as a build machine. My
>> visionfive2 gets a little hot and I'm looking at getting a desk fan to
>> blow at it and some of the other boards that get a bit hot while
>> building.

I also use visionfive2 as my build machine. Quite happy with it.  I have
a fairly large heatsink installed without a fan, the temperature does
not exceed 60 degrees at full load.

> Cool, well let me know if any of those can be hooked up to the build
> farm. It's quite easy and obviously you can still use them (and just
> stop the build coordinator agent) if you need to.

I'd give it a try. Although now there is only a 256GB ssd plugged in and
no dedicated ip address. I don't know how the coordinator works, maybe
it doesn't matter, I need to see how it all works.

--
Best regards,
Aleksandr Vityazev