guix-devel

Re: Postgres user UID and GID

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Postgres user UID and GID
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 13:23:41 -0700

Hi Martin,

On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 11:44 AM Martin Baulig <martin@baulig.is> wrote:

> I have decided to NFS-mount an encrypted shared folder

I use a similar setup and use Gocryptfs for encryption. How do you
encrypt, please?

> there is a tiny little problem with PostgreSQL:
> the UID and GID of the 'postgres' user needs to match that of the server.

Perhaps I do not understand the needs of your setup completely.
Doesn't 'idmapd' in NFSv4 address your conundrum effectively?

For performance reasons, I would discourage such a setup, though. It
would be better to run Postgres on the NAS, if it is an option, or to
replicate the database for backup purposes.

Kind regards
Felix