guix-devel

Re: Postgres user UID and GID

From: Martin Baulig
Subject: Re: Postgres user UID and GID
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 21:28:29 +0000

Hello,

I had considered idmap before, but realized there might be a bit of a
chicken-egg problem with it.  Even though that likely doesn't actually exist
because GNU Guix is smart enough about it, the circular dependency still feels
weird:

What I mean is that the NFS client would depend on the existence of the
'postgres' user, to put it into the idmap file, and to resolve its UID / GID on
service startup.

But the PostgreSQL service also depends on the NFS share already being mounted,
so the postgres process can access its data directory.

The only clean solution I could think about is to create the account during
system initialization via an explicit entry in (operating-system (users ...)).
But then I won't need idmap because I can just hard-code the UID and GID there.

About running the database on the server - unfortunately, there is no official
package for Synology's DSM and I don't feel good about some third-party sites
that only provide binaries.  They also made some custom changes to the Linux
kernel and use some kind of custom libc - it's a nightmare to install anything
on that thing!

And the "official" recommendation that you get on Reddit, Stack Overflow, etc.
about running PostgreSQL on Synology DSM is to install a Docker image.

I figured running GNU Guix in a VM to be a much better choice than messing with
a bunch of Docker images.

Best regards,

Martin