guix-devel

Re: Guix and the developer ecosystem

From: Distopico
Subject: Re: Guix and the developer ecosystem
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 20:40:05 -0500

On 2023-07-31, Wilko Meyer <w@wmeyer.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Distopico <distopico@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> 2. Do you see developers as a potential target audience for Guix, or is
>> it mainly focused on HPC (High-Performance Computing)?
>
> Developers is a pretty broad and generic term to start with. Considering
> Guix is somewhat of a general purpose package manager/Guix System a
> general purpose distribution, I think the better question to ask,
> instead of asking for target audiences, is, how and in what way Guix
> features and concepts can aid and help with hacking on software. HPC is
> an area where Guix can be put to good use, but it's also a reasoanble
> choice for other areas as well I'd argue.

I believe one area for improvement is the possibility of having tools
and the compiler sharing common ground. For example, rust-1.6 with
rust-analyzer-1.6 with version 20220809 and rust-1.7 with
rust-analyzer-1.7 with version 20230911. In that case, similar to
rustup, we could do guix shell rust@1.6.8 rust-analyzer@20230911. In
Haskell, a similar issue occurs, where haskell-language-server, e.g.,
version 1.3, only works with specific GHC versions.

> IMHO Guix has plenty of useful features that, in my opinion, can be put
> to good use in the process of developing software. I *mostly* work with
> C and Rust, as well as Perl, and less frequently, Python and CommonLisp;
> so my experience with Guix is mostly limited to these languages.

How is your workflow with rust? I mean you use --container to just
download `rustup` and install it in the container?

> Using a guix.scm file for projects to provide a good way to spin up a
> development environment fast/to onboard new people, and make use of guix
> shell (mostly with --container) while working on software; are probably
> my most used features in that regards.

I do that as well, but in mostly of the cases just for me because other
team member can use it due is Gnu/Linux only, could be good have
something like emacs cross-platform.

> Best Regards,

Thank you for the reponse.