guix-devel

Re: Guix and the developer ecosystem

From: Saku Laesvuori
Subject: Re: Guix and the developer ecosystem
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 19:59:29 +0300

>> Certainly, Nix enjoys clout, but there's nothing to stop you from
>> committing a guix.scm to your favourite project.  Case in point, I
>> recently contributed to one such project on Github (via mail to the
>> devs, of course).
>
>Well, what holds me back is that many dependencies are missing, such as
>the basic ones I mentioned, making it impossible to use Guix in many
>cases. [...] So, it's not
>feasible to include that in the project due to current limitations.

You could add the missing dependencies to the guix.scm. I often have ten
or so dependencies in my haskell projects' guix.scm files. It takes a
bit of time because the recursive hackage importer is currently broken
(https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64734), but it's not too bad because guix
already has most of the common packages.