guix-devel

Updates for Go

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Updates for Go
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 13:57:58 -0600

Hey all,

Our Go ecosystem is currently in need of a lot of love.

* The Go Team

There is currently no branch for Go updates. I know Leo had tried to get one setup at one point[0] but ran into issues. I'm unclear if they were ever resolved, but the branch isn't there, and we need one.

There's also no one on Guix's Go team. I've created a patch to add myself[1], although my availability has historically been very intermittent. Please consider joining since the Go ecosystem contains some pretty critical packages (e.g. Docker, syncthing, etc.).

* Go Versions

Go v1.21.0 has just been released. Go's release policy[2] states that releases are supported until two major releases have been made. We're building everything in Go 1.17.3 by default right now which puts our Go ecosystem at risk since our packages won't be using security fixes that have since been released.

To help address this, I've proposed[3] a Go v1.21.0 package, but not made it the default.

Next, we should get started on compiling everything with a supported version of Go. It would be nice to switch the default to Go v1.21.0 since it has some nice performance improvements. To do this, we'll need the feature branch so we can begin working on what's broken.

What do you all think? If it's just me trying to fix broken packages, we're going to be on Go v1.17 for a long time!

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-01/msg00097.html
[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65314
[2] https://go.dev/doc/devel/release#policy
[3] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65317