guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 21:20:13 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Sept 2023 at 19:40, MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me> wrote:

> As i said its okay if you don't understand it, or share it. What you can
> not do is dismiss my experience.

I do not dismiss your experience.  To the contrary.  It is because I
do not share other experiences that I am interested by learning them.
I think some of the points your are raising here or there are very
valuable, and whatever if I fully share them or not.  They are
valuable and it is important that you express them.  Period. :-)

To be clear, I dismiss only these two sentences [1]:

                                And the fact that guix doesn't get have many
        committers and contributors are scarce, speaks for itself. If you don't
        see it I suggest asking people in social networks/forums why they
        *don't* get involved in guix.

Because here you do not speak about your personal experience; you are
reporting two statements which are IMHO not backed and thus they drag
down.  You draw a general conclusion extrapolated from your subjective
viewpoint.

Do not take me wrong, your viewpoint is valuable.  As important as any
other subjective viewpoint.  And for what it is worth, I read (almost)
all viewpoints with interest.  It is important that we all share them.

I do not feel personally attacked.  You, do you feel personally
attacked?   If yes, I am sorry for my tone because it was not my
intent.  I think it is important 1. to focus on positive actionable
items and 2. avoid slippery slope leading to negativity.

Well, instead of these two claims, it appears to me more engaging to ask:

 + considering Guix is 10 years old, how many new contributors does
the project get per month?  On average.
 + how many contributors contribute more than X times?
 + how many people roam on other media than Guix mailing list?
 + etc.

IMHO, by these questions, you are sharing your experience, your
perspective and your viewpoint without jumping to some partial
conclusion; even we could maybe reach together or infer some
interesting conclusions.  Somehow, these questions would drag up and
engage potentially fruitful discussions.  Maybe, that's what you
wanted to express?

Anyway.  That's how I view the things from my perspective.

It is my last email in this thread too.

Cheers,
simon

1: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me>
Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:20:48 +0300
id:f199249e-b30a-adf5-224f-1aed74a563fe@fannys.me
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-09