guix-devel

Re: IDEA: missing-tests-pypi-error? condition

From: jgart
Subject: Re: IDEA: missing-tests-pypi-error? condition
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 11:10:10 +0000

> Sometimes, PyPI versions lag behind upstream versions.

Hi Bonz,

Yes, in my experience that has sometimes been the case because maintainers
don't make timely releases to PyPI.

> What's the policy on this. Shouldn't we prefer upstream over PyPI?

Our importer works with the JSON API that PyPI provides at
https://pypi.org/pypi/baz/json

See here:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/import/pypi.scm?h=master#n141

That API provides a lot of package data that GitHub does not track in a unified
and structured way.

> Adding extra glue can add unnecessary complexity.

You're right. I thought about that after I sent the email with the idea ;()

Doing my best to make inboxes a happier place,

jgart