guix-devel

Re: IDEA: missing-tests-pypi-error? condition

From: Munyoki Kilyungi
Subject: Re: IDEA: missing-tests-pypi-error? condition
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 18:00:58 +0300

Hi Maxim!

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
aliandika:

> Hi,
>
> Munyoki Kilyungi <me@bonfacemunyoki.com> writes:
>
>> "jgart" <jgart@dismail.de> aliandika:
>>
>>> Hi Guixers,
>>>
>>> I was recently reviewing a patch by a contributor and was discussing the
>>> notion of preferring upstream to PyPI when tests are missing on PyPI.
>>>
>> What's the policy on this.  Shouldn't we prefer
>> upstream over PyPI?  Sometimes, PyPI versions lag
>> behind upstream versions.
>
> There's no written policy about it at this time, but I think it's common
> knowledge in Guix that we try hard to:
>
> 1. Unbundle dependencies (that one is documented)
> 2. Run test suites (that one isn't)
>
> We could hint at this globally in the contributing section, and perhaps
> expound with more specific details in the Python Modules contributing
> section, mentioning that when the PyPI source archive lacks tests,
> fetching from the git repository should be preferred.
>
> Another thing we could do is default to fetch from git for the Python
> importer.

Thanks for this info.  I'm dedicating an hour of
my day from work to try to contrib to the
eco-system with Jgarte's help.  What's, if I may
naively ask, the process for documenting this
knowledge?  I can take a stub at trying to
document this and asking for reviews.

>>> WDYT if we also signalled a special condition when there are missing tests
>>> in PyPI?
>>>
>> I posit that this should be the responsibility of
>> the contributor.  Adding extra glue can add
>> unnecessary complexity.
>
> I think an error would help catching this situation; the
> gnu-build-system would fail running 'make check' when there is no check
> target for example, but in the Python world, running 'python setup.py
> test' often succeeds even 0 tests were run, which is easy to overlook.
> I'm not sure how easy it'd be to check for missing tests though.

TIL'ed.
--
(Life is like a pencil that will surely run out,
    but will leave the beautiful writing of life.)