guix-devel

$EDITOR and “guix edit”

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: $EDITOR and “guix edit”
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 10:43:57 +0100

Hi,

The command “guix edit” returns “+N path/to/file” that is then passed to
$EDITOR.  Therefore $EDITOR needs the command line:

    $ $EDITOR +N /path/to/file

Well, that is accepted by many $EDITOR, to my knowledge.  At least,
Emacs, Vi or less are fine with it.

However, some other $EDITOR does not.  I have in mind “kate” or
“VSCode“,

    $ kate -l N path/to/file
    $ code --goto path/to/file:N

This had been raised in #44272 [1].  The current fix is to wrap $EDITOR
and then make the current correct call.

The question is:

  do we tweak “guix edit” for behaving differently depending on $EDITOR?

or

  do we provide some wrappers for the issues that already popped up?

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44272