guix-devel

Re: Proposal: Differentiate products more clearly (Cycle 01)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Proposal: Differentiate products more clearly (Cycle 01)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 15:37:00 +0100

Hi Luis,

I’m big fan of what you propose, both graphically in terms of how we
present things!

I love the “cubes” that represent the different levels of Guix
(reminiscent of the hexagons Ricardo had in some of his presentations);
we could add a “systems” (plural) cube that I didn’t see here, but
that’s a detail.  I love that the mockups insist on “User Control” and
“User Autonomy” too.

Like Ricardo, I’m less enthusiastic about the term “package manager”,
but we should be able to work around it.

We should also make sure IMO that Guix System is not perceived as a
completely independent/separate beast, and instead insist on that notion
of a continuum.

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> skribis:

> I can help implement several of the proposed changes.
>
> Subsequent changes (hinted in the mockups) with the same goal of product
> differentiation could be:
>
> 5. Guix Features section in the manual: Improve it.
>    + Separate in sections to make it easier to browse
>    + List forgotten functional features (if any)
>    + List non-functional features
>    + Compare with similar products
> 6. Guix System Features section in the manual: Add it.
> 7. Guix System Configurations page: A collection of configurations, ideally
> of real systems currently used in production environments.

Makes sense to me.  This something those of us less into design and more
into coding can help with.

Thank you!!

Ludo’.