guix-devel

Re: Add xmpp room to the list of group chats.

From: MSavoritias
Subject: Re: Add xmpp room to the list of group chats.
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 13:25:35 +0200

On 12/7/23 09:42, Ada Stevenson wrote:

Hi,

On 12/2/23 8:20 AM, MSavoritias wrote:
Hey, I thought this mailing list is the most fitting for the request feel free to point out if its better somewhere else.

Is the community open to have group chats listed in other networks than IRC assuming they are free software?

Having chat groups in different networks is going to greatly improve the accessibility of the project towards new contributors which I think we recently wanted to start working on as one of our areas of focus.

The group chat I am talking about is in xmpp/jabber and it is here -> guix@chat.disroot.org

It has already the CoC of the guix project and xmpp is free software from server to client.

Also disclaimer: I am not talking about starting to bridge them. That is an entirely separate thing with different tradeoffs and maintenance.

Just listing the group chat is easy though :)

Msavoritias

This sounds like a good idea to me! XMPP just works a lot nicer with stuff like attachments and message logging without needing peripheral tooling like znc to get around things like message logging/persistance. Whether we go with disroot.org to host the chat, or whether GNU can host something for us in the future I'm not sure, but I'm keen to see more usage of XMPP.

I think the channel should be listed once we have a strong consensus that we want to use XMPP as a main communication channel. Perhaps this is suitable for a RFI?

Why main communication channel? I mean sure we can have a discussion regarding that, but I think that brings far more questions than just listing the xmpp channel as an alternative.

Plus we don't even know how desirable it would be for it to be the main channel? (Although a lot of people have started to appear in the channel which is nice ^^)

The model I was looking at was similar to ->

General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaining robust, optimal, and reusable software. - ziglang/zig

github.com

Community <#>

General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaining robust, optimal, and reusable software. - Community ยท ziglang/zig Wiki

๐Ÿ”— https://github.com/ziglang/zig/wiki/Community <https://github.com/ziglang/zig/wiki/Community>

However, I understand the desire to keep everything as central as possible, especially when it comes to communication. IRC works well enough in most cases, and by far has the most active users. This doesn't mean things can improve, though, and the niceties provided by a more modern protocol such as XMPP could be worth it, potentially. Anyway, there isn't much harm in maintaining our own XMPP channel for those who wish to use it.

What is being proposed here? hosting our own xmpp server or promoting this as an "official" channel? whatever that means.

MSavoritias

What do you think?

Thanks,

Ada (adanska)