guix-devel

Re: Suggestion for a guix shell feature.

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Suggestion for a guix shell feature.
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 22:58:27 -0500

Hi,

Apoorv via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution."
<guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> I want to make a suggestion for a feature for guix shell.
>
> I was recently writing guix.scm files for my projects and was having
> problem with the libraries I added, not being found inside the
> shell. After struggling for hours I finally learned that that the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH  is not being updated automatically inside the  guix
> shell environment so the libraries can be found easily.
>
> So my feature suggestion is that maybe we can have a flag or a option
> for guix shell, something like --add-ld-path or --update-ld-path for
> example, to add all libraries specified in the guix.scm or even as
> sub-command guix shell --add-ld-path mesa as an example, to
> automatically update the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to
> contain the correct paths to these libraries so they can be found
> easily inside the shell.

Guix doesn't/shouldn't make use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, except in rare cases
to wrap binaries.  It's better to patch the dlopen calls to use the
absolute shared library file name.

Perhaps you are missing the package configuring LIBRARY_PATH and other
useful environment variables for finding libraries?  That'd be
gcc-toolchain, if I recall correctly.

--
Thanks,
Maxim