guix-devel

Re: How/where/when to ask for a patch review?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: How/where/when to ask for a patch review?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 10:41:00 +0100

Hello,

Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 06 2024, Tomas Volf wrote:
>
>> what is the proper channel to ask for a patch review and how long
>> should one wait before doing so.

I think it is reasonable to bump the bug report associated to your patch
after a week, or possibly two during a winter break.

Note that committers generally wait for a green flag in the QA page
<https://qa.guix.gnu.org/patches>. Unfortunately, I noticed it had some
hiccups recently.

> Please don't waste your time waiting. The process of patch review and
> acceptance here is erratic. I won't go into reasons; the project
> understands the problem and is trying several solutions but I'm not sure
> they are working. Please go ahead and maintain your own fork of Guix.

It is certainly a pragmatic answer, but hopefully, we can do better.

> No chance. I run about a hundred patches on top of stock and build half
> of all packages myself (mainly due to a defective eudev in Guix). In
> another month, I'll be at two hundred.

IMHO, at this point, you should ask for write access to the project,
This would certainly help everyone involved.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou