guix-devel

Re: How/where/when to ask for a patch review?

From: Tomas Volf
Subject: Re: How/where/when to ask for a patch review?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:59:44 +0100

On 2024-01-10 00:33:11 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi again Tomas,
>
> Tomas Volf <~@wolfsden.cz> skribis:
>
> > What I tried so far:
> >
> > 1) Asking on the IRC (2x).  Once I even got a review, but from a
> > non-committer.
> > 2) Sending email directly to the main author of the edited source file.  No
> >    response.
> >
> > Technically I even mentioned it to the main author directly in person, but
> > it
> > was at a conference, so I can hardly blame them for it just slipping by. :)
>
> Uh, I think I’m the guilty party, my sincere apologies!

Do not worry about it!  I will not pretend it is not a bit frustrating to have
patches just sit there, but I do realize how busy your are and much you do
already.  I do appreciate all the work you do on Guix and around it.

It is unavoidable that some things just slip through.

> I have to admit I have a hard time keeping up.  I review tons of
> patches, but I also like to do stuff by myself, which means I tend to
> select “easy” patches.
>
> As a project, the ratio of available reviewer time to incoming patches
> remains chronically small.  I feel like there are more people reviewing
> and pushing patches these days, but there’s also more patches coming
> in—a good problem to have, but certainly also a source of frustration.

  I do not propose any magical solution, because I do not have one. :) Let's
hope it keeps getting better.

> The good news is that I’ve now reviewed
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65002> and it looks almost ready to me.  So
> perhaps you’ll have to ping me or some other committer one last time,
> but I encourage you to not give up, not so close to the finish line.

Thank you very much for the review, I will send the next revision sometime this
week.

Have a nice day,
Tomas Volf

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.