guix-devel

Using the pyproject-build-system

From: Troy Figiel
Subject: Using the pyproject-build-system
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:19:22 +0100

Hi Guix/Python team,

My fix for python-requests-kerberos was pushed today (thanks Oleg!) and
I thought it would be an appropriate moment to ask about the
pyproject-build-system. In short, is the pyproject-build-system a
preferable default over the python-build-system? The manual states
"experimental", but "encouraged to try it", leaving me wondering which
one to use when.

And in long:

Although not fully PEP 517-compliant according the documentation, the
pyproject-build-system does seem to fall back to setuptools.build_meta
if the pyproject.toml is missing. Contrary to what the name implies to
me, it can therefore also be used for packages with only a setup.py file.

This usually leads to slicker definitions, since quite a few packages
seem to only use pytest as their testing suite and in these cases the
pyproject-build-system does not require an override of the check phase.

Should I therefore always try to use the pyproject-build-system instead
of the python-build-system, or is there some different guideline to
follow?

Best wishes,

Troy