guix-devel

Re: Using the pyproject-build-system

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Using the pyproject-build-system
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:02:34 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 00:19, Troy Figiel <troy@troyfigiel.com> wrote:

> Although not fully PEP 517-compliant according the documentation, the
> pyproject-build-system does seem to fall back to setuptools.build_meta
> if the pyproject.toml is missing. Contrary to what the name implies to
> me, it can therefore also be used for packages with only a setup.py file.

My understanding is that PEP 517 will be the default buitin way for
building Python project, and pyproject-build-system is an implementation
of such PEP 517.  Somehow, the adoption of PEP 517 by Python projects
will imply more Guix packages using pyproject-build-system.

In addition, one (and tangential) longer term for building Python
packages using Guix is rely on one build-system, namely
pyproject-build-system.  Hence maybe this unclear situation.

Cheers,
simon