guix-devel

Re: System can no longer be reconfigured

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: System can no longer be reconfigured
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 08:54:51 -0700

Hi Ludo'

On Fri, Apr 19 2024, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Is it not hanging during Shepherd service upgrade?

Yes, thank you!  It was hanging during the Shepherd system upgrade due
to an invalid calendar-event specification.  In a service that uses both
#:days-of-month as well as #:days-of-week, I got confused because the
count starts with one in one, and with zero in the other. [1]

Thank you for your kind pointer in another forum! The issue is now
solved.

On this occasion, please allow me to mention for everyone's benefit that
your support level for the Shepherd is very generous---especially when
the complaints involve repeated user errors by the people bothering you.

> If that is the case, (1) that is not preventing upgrade from happening
> since that’s the very last step (it just means you’ll have to reboot),

Yes, but 'reboot' and 'halt' also stop working, which meant that I
issued 'sync' a few times and then, crossing my fingers, pressed the
reset button a few hundreds of a second later.  I wish there were a way
to force a reboot.

> (2) it’s a shepherd-related bug for which perhaps there are clues in
> /var/log/messages?

Thank you for that pointer, too.  I'm still learning about where to look
for error messages, whose destination is not always obvious to me.

Kind regards
Felix

[1]
https://codeberg.org/lechner/system-config/commit/8639339dbd3ad4c51ceba239bf4aadc56223fb4a