guix-europe

Re: Discontinuing data.guix.gnu.org?

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Discontinuing data.guix.gnu.org?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:13:51 +0100

Hello Maxim and maintainers,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

>> Maintainers, what’s your take on this?

[...]

> Given the above, it seems to me that the ball is in the camp of the Guix
> Foundation to sort how to transfer ownership of the Hetzner
> accounts/payments from Christopher to them.

if I can: please do it ASAP, then plan to migrate on (possibly new)
machines hosted by members [1]

> It could be interesting, as Gabor mentioned, to review if a machine
> already part of our fleet (Milano, perhaps?) could be used for it,

I don't have metrics but AFAIU milano-guix-1 should be used only as
build server (as it is now), given it's the only build server for
x86_64-linux in the bordeaux build farm (see
id:87ttp4luq3.fsf@cbaines.net to guix-sysadmin@gnu.org)

Anyway:

  With a little help from my contact in UNIMI (Milan University, where
  milano-guix-1 is hosted) I could find 3/4 additional rack units and
  related internet connection to host more hardware near milano-guix-1.

  After that, we "just" need to buy more machines to be hosted at UNIMI,
  if FSF/Guix Europe have some budget for that.

(see id:87zfyu3r48.fsf@xelera.eu to guix-sysadmin@gnu.org on
2023-12-01)

caveat: I'm not sure I can succesfully get more rack units at UNIMI, but
I can try.

HTH! Gio'

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/en/donate/
http://foundation.guix.info/assets/index.html