guix-europe

Re: Announcing Meetups on Guix Foundation website?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Announcing Meetups on Guix Foundation website?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 13:00:05 +0000

On February 5, 2024 12:48:08 PM UTC, Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net>
wrote:

>I'm a -0 at the moment. My main concern is how much work this will
>be. If the process is made smoother and we have some automation, I could
>update my view to a +0 or even a +1. Maintaining consistent event
>details across multiple platforms (we already use meetup.com and email)
>is a hassle.

Does meetup export an ics file RSS feed style? I suppose it would be one thing
to manually maintain a parallel list of meetups when meetup.com is (in my
understanding) the primary means of RSVPing. If we could grab the ics file
location from meetup and then it would be kept up to date on the website that
would remove almost all the extra burden. That might work better by having a
calendar which gets loaded into the website and not built in, so it could have
the events added there without the website rebuilt and deployed for each new
event or change.

Also that would only take care of this meeting, not the other ones.

What about under a subheading of meetups:
Link to meetup group, with approximate meeting frequency (or not), and a date
listed for when the entry was last updated/checked. It's one thing to say we
have a yearly Guix Days pre FOSDEM and another thing to advertise (for example)
an upcoming 10 Years of Guix in Paris in September (no year listed). Then it's
everyones individual responsibility to check when recurring events might be.

Another option would be to have an email announcement list from the Guix
Foundation where these can be announced.