h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] better analysis/presentation?

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] better analysis/presentation?
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 17:46:24 +0100

On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 19:23:16 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Nov 2021 21:09:47 +1100 Yuchen wrote:
> > Can you clarify with an example what you mean by conflicting
> > entries?
>
> On Mon, 01 Nov 2021 21:09:47 +1100 Yuchen wrote:
> > OK rereading your message I think you mean something like
> >
> > > what happens when another client
> > >  submits a contradictory report on the same release of the
> > >  singular 'guix' distro
>
> multiple versions of distros is a separate issue - the first
> is simple - i meant "conflicts" in the plain sense - does a
> search result for "foomatic-123" present "Works with free
> software? Yes"? , "No"? , or both (in conflicting per-user
> reports)?
>
> alice posts data including a common hardware (eg: i915):
>
>   model = foomatic-123
>   works_with_free_software = Yes
>
> bob's computer or distro disagrees:
>
>   model = foomatic-123
>   works_with_free_software = No
>
> presumably, a search will result in both, and they will
> contradict - furthermore, the burden of analyzing the data-set
> is on each user - this suggests some interesting analysis
> questions, which could be resolved programatically, if it is not
> already:
>
>   how many other users, agree with alice and/or bob?
>

>   is it possible to present search results as a compact table?
>
>     eg: "Foomatic-2000"
>         "Alice | Works with free software? Yes (for me on trisquel9)"
>         "Bob   | Works with free software? No (for me on trisquel7)"
>         "Carol | Works with free software? Yes (for me on parabola)"
>

>   is it is possible to collate/average entries common hardware,
>   into a [SIC]"user-confidence-rating"?
>
>     eg: "Works with free software? Yes (41/42 users)"
>

> maybe some otherwise hidden wisdom may be revealed with better
> presentation; such as: all 'Yes' were also tested the same one
> distro, and zero 'No' were tested on that distro - all 'No' were
> from another distro
We could generalize it this way: we take only the best grades (Yes,
Grade A) as a summary, but we could warn that it doesn't work in this
way in all cases.

For instance that printer is Yes, Grade A, but has a No, we could add a
big warning that says that it didn't work for everybody, and encourage
people to check the details.

Here if Ramona wants to know if that printer works, she'll look at the
entries and since she runs Trisquel 9, she'll see that it's probably
fine for her.

This would probably also encourage users to fix bogus entries, if
someone has an intel WiFi card that somehow works in Trisquel 9, people
will probably be pushed to verify that's it's really the case and fix it
if it's not. Here we'd also need to have a way to declare entries as
'needing verification' or something like that in very suspicious cases.

Denis.