help-3dldf

Re: [help-3dldf] Re: HELP TO INSTALL 1.2.0.0 RELESASE. (fwd)

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: Re: [help-3dldf] Re: HELP TO INSTALL 1.2.0.0 RELESASE. (fwd)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:50:42 +0100 (MET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:17:29 +0100 (MET)
From: Laurence Finston <address@hidden>
To: MX <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [help-3dldf] Re: HELP TO INSTALL 1.2.0.0 RELESASE.

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, MX wrote:

> L.,
>
> Everything looks OK for the compilation (no error about forward
> declaration, etc.) but my computer seems to be blocked after the message:
>
> Compiling `parser.c++'.  This may take a minute or so ...
> time g++ -c -g parser.c++
>
> I have been waiting more than 30 minuts without a result ? What is the
> matter now ?

This may be a real problem, or it may be just the `time' command.
On my machine, it takes slightly over a minute.
`time' isn't needed.  It just tells me how long the compilation takes.

Try making this change in `3DLDF-1.2.0.0/CWEB/Makefile.am':

Replace this:

parser.o: $(3dldf_header_timers) parser.tby prbsnflx parser.c++
        @echo "Compiling \`parser.c++'.  This may take a minute or so ..."
        time $(CXX) -c -g parser.c++

With this:

parser.o: $(3dldf_header_timers) parser.tby prbsnflx parser.c++
        @echo "Compiling \`parser.c++'.  This may take a minute or so ..."
        $(CXX) -c -g parser.c++

If this isn't the problem, then it's the size of `parser.c++'.  However,
if GCC was configured on your system with insufficient memory limits to
process it, I would expect it to exit with an error message.

`parser.c++' can't be broken into units for separate compilation, because
it's generated by GNU Bison.  I've been working on removing debugging
code from the parser actions and replacing the remaining code with
function calls.  The functions can be defined in other files.  Along
with not using optimization, this has helped to reduce compilation time
for `parser.c++':  down to slightly over a minute from about 10 minutes
on my system.  However, there are a lot of parser input files, and it's
rather time-consuming (and boring) to make these changes.

In short, please get rid of the call to `time', and let me know if
it doesn't work.

Thanks.

Laurence