[Help-bash] New bash build as default shell

From: John Aten
Subject: [Help-bash] New bash build as default shell
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 16:16:49 -0500

Hi all,

I am new to the list, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the
following problem.

I am running Debian Wheezy on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I just built bash 4.3.29
from source. I wanted to change my root and one user account to use it as the
default shell. I ran sudo chsh and entered /usr/local/bin/bash, and everything
was fine. I could log in and out, run commands, and the $SHELL and
$BASH_VERSION environment variables confirmed the change.

Things got hinky, though when I tried to change my regular, non-root user
account. While logged in as my regular user, I entered chsh, but when I typed
in the path, it says that I had entered an invalid shell. I tried sudo chsh,
and the same. I was perplexed by this, as it seemed perfectly valid when I ran
it as this user by typing the path into the command line of the previous
default shell. Commands run normally, and $BASH_VERSION returns the right
number. I tried to change my regular user's shell again and got the same error.
I triple checked the path, and tried again, this time while logged in as root.
It then returned:

chsh: PAM: Authentication failure

I logged in as root and changed the shell for my regular user account in
/etc/passwd, but after this I couldn't log in to my regular user account at
all. At first it gave me a 'login incorrect' error, but on repeated attempts it
would give what looks like a 10 or 15 line message, but the screen clears so
quickly I can't read it. I logged in as root and changed my regular user's
default shell back to the previous /bin/bash, and now it works fine.

Any thoughts?