Re: [Help-bash] Bash 2.05b build failure on OSX10.4

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Bash 2.05b build failure on OSX10.4
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 21:58:32 -0400

On 10/5/14, 3:04 PM, Geoff Down wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'm trying to build patched bash2.05b under OSX10.4 PPC. I downloaded
>  the tarball and patches from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/ - 'patch'
>  gave some warnings about 'missing context diff headers' but seemed to
>  apply the patches anyway.
>  Configure gives lots of errors (log attached) but completes. Make gives
>  quite a few warnings and then fails at this point:
>
> gcc -L./builtins -L./lib/readline -L./lib/readline -L./lib/glob
> -L./lib/tilde  -L./lib/sh    -g -O2 -o bash shell.o eval.o y.tab.o
> general.o make_cmd.o print_cmd.o  dispose_cmd.o execute_cmd.o
> variables.o copy_cmd.o error.o expr.o flags.o jobs.o subst.o hashcmd.o
> hashlib.o mailcheck.o trap.o input.o unwind_prot.o pathexp.o sig.o
> test.o version.o alias.o array.o arrayfunc.o braces.o bracecomp.o
> bashhist.o bashline.o  list.o stringlib.o locale.o findcmd.o redir.o
> pcomplete.o pcomplib.o syntax.o xmalloc.o -lbuiltins -lsh -lreadline
> -lhistory -ltermcap -lglob -ltilde   -ldl

I'd look at the linker options that the macports build uses; the ones
in the bash-2.05b Makefile probably are not right.

As I recall, this version of Mac OS X predates the linker changes that
allow symbols to be defined in the application and libraries it links
with and those that allow symbols to be defined in multiple libraries
an application links against.

Chet
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/