Re: [Help-bash] Bash 2.05b build failure on OSX10.4

From: Geoff Down
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Bash 2.05b build failure on OSX10.4
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 00:18:47 +0100

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014, at 02:58 AM, Chet Ramey wrote:
> On 10/5/14, 3:04 PM, Geoff Down wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  I'm trying to build patched bash2.05b under OSX10.4 PPC. I downloaded
> >  the tarball and patches from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/ - 'patch'
> >  gave some warnings about 'missing context diff headers' but seemed to
> >  apply the patches anyway.
> >  Configure gives lots of errors (log attached) but completes. Make gives
> >  quite a few warnings and then fails at this point:
> >
> > gcc -L./builtins -L./lib/readline -L./lib/readline -L./lib/glob
> > -L./lib/tilde  -L./lib/sh    -g -O2 -o bash shell.o eval.o y.tab.o
> > general.o make_cmd.o print_cmd.o  dispose_cmd.o execute_cmd.o
> > variables.o copy_cmd.o error.o expr.o flags.o jobs.o subst.o hashcmd.o
> > hashlib.o mailcheck.o trap.o input.o unwind_prot.o pathexp.o sig.o
> > test.o version.o alias.o array.o arrayfunc.o braces.o bracecomp.o
> > bashhist.o bashline.o  list.o stringlib.o locale.o findcmd.o redir.o
> > pcomplete.o pcomplib.o syntax.o xmalloc.o -lbuiltins -lsh -lreadline
> > -lhistory -ltermcap -lglob -ltilde   -ldl
>
> I'd look at the linker options that the macports build uses; the ones
> in the bash-2.05b Makefile probably are not right.
>
> As I recall, this version of Mac OS X predates the linker changes that
> allow symbols to be defined in the application and libraries it links
> with and those that allow symbols to be defined in multiple libraries
> an application links against.
>
> Chet

Are these entries in the macport portfile relevant?

"depends_build           bin:grep:grep \
                        bin:bison:bison
depends_lib             port:gettext

variant universal {}

configure.ldflags-append \
    "-Wl,-search_paths_first -lncurses"
configure.args          --mandir=${prefix}/share/man \
                        --infodir=${prefix}/share/info \
                        --without-installed-readline \
                        CFLAGS_FOR_BUILD="[get_canonical_archflags]"

# Always source .bashrc when connecting remotely with ssh, #40603
configure.cflags-append -DSSH_SOURCE_BASHRC
"
If so can you interpret them into what I should type as part of the
manual build process please?
GD

                          love email again