Re: bash 5.1-rc1: how to disable highlight upon paste?

From: Corey Hickey
Subject: Re: bash 5.1-rc1: how to disable highlight upon paste?
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 11:23:13 -0700

On 2020-10-26 06:39, Chet Ramey wrote:
On 10/21/20 10:39 PM, Corey Hickey wrote:
Hello,

I just installed bash 5.1-rc1, and I noticed that text pasted onto the
command line is now highlighted (until another key is pressed).

This is tied to bracketed paste, and you can disable it by disabling
bracketed paste.

Ok. I didn't really want to disable bracketed paste, since it looks like it can protect me from the occasional times I accidentally paste random multi-line text into the terminal. :)

I actually _do_ like the highlighting upon CTRL-R searches, so I would like
to keep that enabled if I can, while disabling highlighting upon paste.

They are not currently separated; disabling bracketed paste disables the
active region feature.

I guess I'll have to weigh the pros and cons.

Now that I think about it, the part I didn't like the most might be considered a bug: hitting CTRL-C does not clear the highlighting. For example:
1. Paste text into terminal; observe highlighting.
2. Hit CTRL-C; note that highlighting remains.
3. Type something else; note that highlighting still remains.

I would expect the highlighting to clear on CTRL-C, but I don't know if that was the intention. In any case, I used 'bashbug' to report this a moment ago.

Thanks for your help.

-Corey